SHANGELA (D.J. Pierce) is a high-energy, electrifying performer that entertains audiences through his dance performances, stand up comedy and sick’ning ability to breathe fire into any party or event. Named one of OUT Magazine’s Most Compelling People of 2011, he first catapulted to fame as one of the stars of the second and third seasons of “Rupaul’s Drag Race,” and has continued to spread his talents in television, film, music and stage. His catch phrase “Halleloo” was named as one of LA Times’ “Top 10 Words from Reality TV” and can be found on various merchandise including t-shirts and wristbands.
A native of Paris, Texas, Pierce graduated with honors from Southern Methodist University, studied abroad in Madrid and then worked a corporate ‘cubicle’ lifestyle in Public Relations before moving to Los Angeles to pursue his dream of entertainment. He first started performing as his drag character “Shangela” in 2009 as a one-night-only experience, but his love for the stage prevailed…and there has been no turning back.
Lights, Camera, Action!….Since filming Rupaul’s Drag Race, Pierce has continued to grow as an on-screen actor, guest starring in and out of drag on television shows like “Terriers” (FX), “Detroit 187” (ABC), and most recently with Chevy Chase and Joel McHale in “Community” (NBC). In 2011, he filmed two network pilots – “A. Mann’s World” (executive produced by Sex and the City creator Michael Patrick King) for NBC and “Spring/Fall” (with Sigourney Weaver and Tea Leoni) for HBO. He also starred in the award-winning short film “Body of a Barbie”, which aired on BET in the fall of 2010, and appeared in two commercials on MTV’s LOGO network. Recently, he taught his infamous death drop move on Lifetime’s “Dance Moms” and will be appearing on TLC’s “Toddlers & Tiaras” in spring 2012.
Unleash the Diva….In 2010, Shangela won the first ever Miss California Entertainer of the Year pageant at the House of Blues in Los Angeles. Later that year, she went on to win 1st runner up at the National Entertainer of the Year pageant in Louisville, Kentucky. More than 150,000 fans around the globe have viewed her talent presentation on YouTube.com/thedebutantess!
Bring on the laughs!….Pierce hosted and starred in the “One Night Stand Up” comedy special on LOGO, performed as his pimp-ho character LaQuifa in San Francisco’s “Drag Queens of Comedy” showcase, headlined at The World-Famous Comedy Store in Hollywood and opened for original Queen of Comedy Mo’Nique at Milwaukee PrideFest. He has also performed in stand-up comedy fundraisers for the HRC and LA Gay and Lesbian Center.
And there’s no slowing down for Ms. Shangela LaQuifa Wadley….in 2011, he released a single on iTunes “Call Me LaQuifa” that was featured on “Dance Moms,” and he continues to perform to sold-out club crowds across the country. He recently partnered with charity organization Hope’s Voice in a program called Divas of Diversity, through which he conducts anti-bullying and diversity workshops on college campuses. In 2012, he looks forward to hosting more Pride Festivals around the world, working on film projects and extending his arms more into the LGBT youth community. For more information, visit www.shangela.com.
- January 21, 2012 – VIP – Riverside, CA
- January 22, 2012 - J. Spot Comedy Club – Los Angeles, CA
- January 24, 2012 – Rage – West Hollywood, CA
- January 28, 2012 – Throb Nightclub – Sarasota, FL
- February 8, 2012 – Darmouth University – Darmouth, RI
- February 9, 2012 - Abbey – West Hollywood, CA
- February 15, 2012 – Celebrities (OUT TV Tour) – Vancouver, Canada
- February 17, 2012 – Divas (OUT TV Tour Stop) – Edmonton, Canada
- February 18, 2012 – Fame (OUT TV Tour Stop) – Calgary, Canada
- February 24, 2012 - Syracuse University – Syracuse, NY
- February 26, 2012 - Scorpio’s – Charlotte, NC
- March 17, 2012 – The Deltan Club – Seattle, WA
- March 20, 2012 – University of South Carolina – Columbia, SC
- March 31, 2012 – March for Equality – Casa Grande, AZ
- May 21, 2012 – The Link – Pittsburgh, PA
- July 14, 2012 – Black PR Fashion Event – Chicago, IL
- January 16, 2012 - Micky’s – West Hollywood, CA
- January 11, 2012 - TLC Toddlers & Tiaras
Shangela presented an outstanding program! She was articulate, dynamic and engaging. Every evaluation came back positive. She also was great with the students! She answered questions and made each person feel valued. You will not be disappointed!
University of Nebraska, Omaha
Shangela was amazing! She gave a memorable performance and was extremely approachable and genuine with our students. Shangela was a great artist to work with and went above and beyond our expectations. This was definitely a memorable experience for our campus community.
Vincent E. Vigil
Director, LGBT Resource Center University of Southern California
- Come get spanked by ME in the hustlerstores booth at #LAPride Fest! Halleloo is here for pics 12 - 3pm! http://t.co/Lr4JNFJQau
- Come get spanked by ME and take some pics in the @HustlerStores booth at #LAPride!! 12 - 3pm today!!! http://t.co/MOgRtl8v6O
- Friday Albuquerque. Saturday El Paso. And today I'm on a flight to LA 4 Pride. Maybe I should have said in my song called "I Came to Rest!"